When we first opened the doors to the new shop we were very excited, slightly nervous and extremely curious for what it would mean to Espire.
Our plan: to grow organically into the true identity of the brand.
“We are here to accelerate the advent for sustainable, ethical & locally made clothing”
This attitude showed true from the day we opened the doors, we decided to do very minimal modifications to the shell of the store & over time we gained a true direction for the space as it slowly developed from a simple retail store to a conceptual, evolving “show and tell” space. A core example of this was moving the machines and cutting table into the store. It’s charming once customers discover that we make the clothing in the store. You don’t just see the product, but the process from sketch-on-paper to finished garment.
By actively using our space to produce clothing, we find our turn around time from an idea to a selling product can be daily. Not only does this mean we can play and experiment as much as we like, but it also completely demolished the theory that you the need to rely (and wait) on overseas factories to churn out dozens or hundreds of the same garment to be successful. Did I say overseas factory? Coincidently that preludes us to the main question we get asked almost daily (almost asked as much as “is there an online store yet?” to which the answer is yes www.espireclothing.com/shop, more to be put up soon), which is “why on Earth we would produce in Australia, given the costs and “higher” market associated with it?!” Well, here is the motto to what we say in response:
“We want to revolutionise the industry and reintroduce what it should mean to be a clothing company in 2017. Australia has the talent, quality & craftsmanship that is unrivalled globally. We honestly believe we can- and should, be setting the bench mark on how to do that in the most sustainable, price-competitive and ethical way possible. We are here to accelerate the advent for sustainable, ethical & locally-made clothing”
We then show customers the various ideas and products we have around the store that sets us apart from the competition, these are some of those examples:
- ZERO FABRIC WASTE: All our shirts are cut in store, which means the leftover cuts that would otherwise be binned are used for pockets that customers can choose from ( literally hundreds of choices). The smaller pieces after this are again used for other smaller logos ( As showcased on our “last word” tees, picture below).
- IT ALWAYS FITS: Ever tried something on & wanted that extra inch on the length? Or like a medium tee fit but its too long in the sleeves? We can make any adjustments you need to our garments as you choose them.
- WRAP IT CLEAN: Our wrapping paper and paper are recycled/up-cycled. Our wrapping paper is old pattern paper that we collect from various sources, whilst all our labels, swing tags and business cards are printed on Envirocare paper which is 100% recycled paper and carbon neutral. ( We also print all our swing tags and cards locally in Bright).
- ORGANIC FABRICS: All of our tees ( base tee shirts, long sleeves & polos) are made from 100% Certified Organic Cotton in a factory that is also ECA (Ethical Clothing Australia) accredited.
- DESIGN IT: Within our store ( as mentioned above) you have some degree of freedom to design your own unique product. Choose your own combination of tee using hundreds of fabrics; mix a few cotton prints together to create a one-off button up shirt; or simply choose from our button collection what you would like on the shirts and dresses. You can even help use left over fabrics and choose your own colour scheme for a logo on one of our “Last Word” tees.
Whilst some of these elements have always been part of Espire, others have evolved logically during production and have since blossomed into unique trades we are proud to call Espire standards.
We are also stoked to see that the once drab empty shell of a space has evolved into a hub of energy and activity with so many wild ideas still evolving- because that is what it is, a conceptual space where the ideas are coming to life. With all this positive growth and development happening in just over 6 months we can’t wait to see what the next 6 months will bring. So we invite you, our friends and customers, to come be a part of Espire’s journey. Come visit us in store or online as we approach the end of winter and the beginning of spring with so many new products and ideas in progress!
Hope to see you soon,
Balin J Foley
Founder & Director